Thursday, January 8, 2015

A merry gluten free Christmas

It's been super busy here over Christmas with two lovely short breaks away from home with our overseas visitors, however,  I still managed to squeeze in a little bit of baking for my lovely little coeliac ...

These Christmas cake minis are a winner.  I gave some away to friends and neighbours who all gave them the thumbs up and they are all loving gluten free!!  This was a recipe published by the Australian Women's Weekly in their Christmas issue 2014.  It makes six small cakes using 10 cm round deep tins or you could make one large.  I used some square tins too to mix it up.  A few Christmasy ribbons, a generous splosh (or two or three) of rum and it all looks rather festive :)


This the children's creation!  A gluten free gingerbread house decorated in Sue Shepherd jelly sweets and some other gluten free treats found at the supermarket.  The recipe for the house comes from The Coeliac Society cookbook and has a lovely gentle peppery flavour.  Make a double batch if you are making the house so you have enough or make a single batch and make some festive cookies instead.  A winner either way!  


I always love an excuse to make a bundt cake but haven't used this fancy tin in a while until I spotted a fabulous recipe by The Baking Beauties so I happily whipped up this gluten free delight.  It was so light it was unbelievable and a very delicate cake without being crumbly.  It lasts a few days after baking; just keep it covered to stay fresh.  Serve with some whipped cream and fresh fruit.



Growing up I was not a fan of anything fruity - cake, mince pies, puddings etc so my Mom always made me a Yule log.  This is a Nigella Lawson recipe and entirely gluten free.  You need two bowls on the go - one to whip the egg whites and another to cream the butter and sugar but it's really very easy and worked a treat.  Use a fork to give your frosting a 'log' effect, add a few retro decorations and there you have it!  This didn't last long with my two :)


Another Christmas tradition for us growing up (or served on many a Sunday just because) is a trifle.  I was a little short on time so I used a store bought gluten free madeira cake as the base layered with fresh strawberries and then covered in jelly.  Leave it to set in the fridge then whip up a batch of thick custard for the next layer and top with lashing of cream.  I finished it off with some cherries, flaked almonds and more fresh strawberries.  This is really best eaten on the day but it still just as nice the day after.  Add some lashings of sherry on to the cake layer if you are not serving it up to children.  


Lastly, although not really baking as such, is my gluten free stuffing.  I have NEVER cooked a turkey before having been a vegetarian nearly all my adult life but these days I eat a little meat now and again.  We had visitors coming too so I wanted the day to be special and so we could all eat the same turkey I made this batch of gluten free stuffing in the Thermomix.  

The recipe is by Alyce Alexandra and you can watch the YouTube how to video here.  I simply froze some gluten free bread and turned it into breadcrumbs and followed the rest of the recipe exactly as is except for using cranberries and walnuts as those were what I had to hand in my pantry.  I have to say it was delicious and 



There you have it ... a quick round up of the little bit of baking I managed to do.  You really don't have to miss out on old favourites or family traditions to eat gluten free.  It might take a bit of research in the beginning but once you have your repertoire of favourites recipes next year and the years to come will see plenty of gluten free dishes on the table that will become firm favourites with your family and friends.  

I hope that you have all had a Merry 'Gluten Free' Christmas and a wonderful New Year. xx

2 comments: